Do you want to know how much chocolate ice cream will kill a dog? Read before you feed!
Dogs may enjoy the mouthwatering sweet taste of chocolate just like humans do, but it’s crucial to keep in mind that chocolate is harmful to dogs and can make them sick. Eating chocolate can have serious consequences for your dog.
No matter how many times your dog requests a piece of chocolate, you should not give it to him (consider dog-friendly peanut butter instead).
how much chocolate ice cream will kill a dog?
Giving chocolate to dogs is not a good idea because even a small amount might be harmful, depending on the size of the dog.
Dogs can tolerate very little of the compound theobromine which is found in chocolate.
As little as an ounce per pound of body weight can be a lethal dose from some breeds. And that’s for milk chocolate. For dark chocolate, it takes even less.
For instance, if you have a Labrador weighing around 80 pounds, only about 8 ounces of milk chocolate could be lethal.
Of course, amounts of chocolate and, more importantly, the compound theobromide will vary in ice cream.
A dog who has been poisoned by chocolate will have the following symptoms.
- Vomit (this may include blood)
- Suffer diarrhea
- Display restlessness and hyperactivity
- Have rapid breathing
- Muscle tension, incoordination
What to do if your dog eats chocolate?
If your dog has eaten chocolate ice cream, or some other poisonous substance such as alcohol or alcoholic desserts, you should contact your veterinarian as soon as possible for assistance.
Keep track of your dog’s weight, the kind of chocolate and how much they’ve eaten, and when they ate it.
If you can, take the dog to the veterinarian right away. The vet will be able to determine if your pet dog has accidentally eaten a toxic amount of chocolate and how best to treat him or her.
How Exactly does Chocolate Ice cream Affect Dogs?
Chocolate poisoning primarily affects the heart, brain, and kidneys in dogs, and chocolate ingestion generally causes symptoms in dogs between 6 and 12 hours after eating it.
The amount of chocolate consumed, the type of chocolate, and the size of the breed, affect whether or not the chocolate is poisonous to the dog.
For example, if the ice cream is vanilla with milk chocolate chips it might take more of it affect your dog.
But if the ice cream is chocolate with dark chocolate chunks, then it will take less to affect that same dog.
But again, the weight of your dog also has something to do with the effect that chocolate has.
Small dogs will be affected by very little chocolate whereas large breeds will tolerate more.
Are all dogs at risk from chocolate Ice cream poisoning?
Theobromine poisoning can be especially deadly in certain breeds of dogs, most notably some miniature Schnauzers. There’s likely a genetic predisposition to theobromine toxicity in that breed.
But in general, all breeds of dogs are susceptible to chocolate poisoning and can potentially die from it.
Can dogs eat white chocolate ice cream?
It’s unlikely that your dog will be poisoned by eating white chocolate since the amount of toxic theobromine is insufficient.
However, white chocolate is high in fat, buttermilk, and sugar, all of which may cause a stomach upset.
Can dogs eat chocolate ice cream cake?
Simply put, no. The cake has a variety of harmful components, including cocoa powder and sugar. Theobromine is also present in high amounts in cocoa powder.
Other Alternatives For Dogs
Here are three dog-friendly alternatives to ice cream that are low in fat and cholesterol.
- Unsweetened Frozen Yogurt: It’s made from milk that has been frozen and is not sweetened or flavored. It has less sugar than ice cream, no sugar, and less fat.
- Unsweetened Frozen Fruities: On hot days, smash up bananas, strawberries, and blueberries in a bowl, fill ice trays with the mixture and store it in the freezer for a delicious treat for your dog.
- Peanut Butter Banana Ball: Mix bananas and peanut butter, wrap in an ice tray, and refrigerate for a delicious frozen treat that your dog will enjoy.
Stop! Before you feed your dog that chocolate ice cream, consider whether it’s okay to offer him some. After all, isn’t everyone entitled to a little pleasure now and again? Stop! Please do not give your dog that chocolate ice cream.
If your best companion has eaten chocolate ice cream and is showing abnormal behavior or has allergy-like symptoms, get in contact with your veterinarian right away.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?