So, you’ve purchased your PetSafe Wireless Fence, and are ready to install it, but now what?
Your fence comes with an instruction book, but we’ll walk you through it so you can get it done smoothly.
Installing the PetSafe Wireless Fence involves burying the fencing wire into your yard to establish a boundary, and then setting up your collar and transmitter.
Most of the items to install come with your package, but basic tools and electrical tape can be helpful to have on hand. It’s best to put aside a few hours for the installation.
Without further ado, let’s get started with how to install PetSafe Wireless Fence!
How to Install Petsafe Wireless Fence
Find a Spot for Your Transmitter
- Find a spot for your transmitter. The placement determines your pet’s safe zone. A free online planner is available.
- Plug your transmitter into a power supply. Turn it on, and ensure that all of the lights function properly.
- Adjust the boundary control switch to high. The boundary control setting needs to be set at level 8.
- Avoid areas with lots of metal. This can interfere with the signal, so do not put it near your breaker or inside of a shed because the signal can be interrupted. Keep in mind that wherever you place the transmitter will be the center of your fenced area.
- Make sure the transmitter is ventilated. Do not mount it flush to the surface, there needs to be a gap for proper ventilation. The transmitter needs to be installed on the ground floor at least 2 feet off the ground.
See our related article, Does a Metal Roof Interfere with a Wireless Dog Fence? to learn how your landscape may impact your invisible fence.
Set Up the Computer Collar Receiver
- Set up the red Computer Collar Receiver. Install PetSafe batteries using the provided multitool. This collar color is safe for cats and dogs weighing a minimum of 8 pounds.
- Hold the collar level with your pet’s height. The receiver will start to beep 2-3 feet away from the boundary area.
- Walk to your desired boundary distance. When you establish the distance you want your pet to be stopped at, hold the collar in place and have someone adjust the boundary control setting until the collar begins beeping.
- Have your boundary flags handy. You will repeat the process mentioned above, placing your pet fence flags down every 10 feet. White flags should come with your purchase.
- Repeat this process until you have created a fence line out of flags. This will indicate your pet’s safe area.
See our related article, How Long Do You Need to Leave Invisible Fence Flags Up For?
Install the Transmitter
- Install the transmitter. You can mount or place this on any raised surface at least 2 feet off the ground. Ensure it is in an area that is ventilated and protected from harsh weather with a secure and reliable power source.
- Avoid placing the transmitter near metal. Things like washing/drying machines and deep freezers can interfere with the system.
- The transmitter can and will function properly through walls. Verify it is not placed in a metal building, garages are recommended.
- It’s important to remember that the transmitter needs to be mounted or shelved at least 2 feet off the ground, and safe from harsh weather. If you do not want to mount just make sure it is safely out of reach from pets or children.
- If you choose to mount the transmitter to a wall, make sure you use the PetSafe mount included with your purchase.
See our related article, Where Do You Put a Dog Fence Transmitter Box? for more details.
You can also take a look at this PetSafe Installation Video below if you’re more of a visual learner!
PetSafe Computer Collar Safety
The PetSafe Computer Collar was designed with pet safety in mind and can be used on cats and dogs.
The PetSafe Wireless Fence Computer Collar comes with a multitool that can be used to maintain a proper fit of the connection points.
You should also receive a set of extra-long connection points with your purchase.
You only need to use those if your pet has extra-long, thick hair that prevents the short points from touching the skin.
If you lose the items mentioned above, they are available for repurchase from the PetSafe Parts Store.
The connection point placement is essential to maintain safe use. They should touch the skin in the center of your pet’s neck with the logo facing up.
With the collar tightened you should be able to fit one finger between the neck-skin and contact points, and two fingers between the neck and collar band.
Remember: you should not leave the PetSafe Computer Collar on your pet for more than 12 hours, this can cause skin irritation or wounds.
Cleanse your pet’s neck after each use and regularly check the fit of your pet’s collar.
If you notice any concerning symptoms, immediately discontinue use and contact a veterinarian.
It’s recommended to clean the connection points and surrounding areas regularly with a cloth and gentle cleaner.
The collar is waterproof! You don’t have to worry about your dog being harmed by the collar in a rainstorm of if he jumps in the kiddie pool to cool off in the summer.
Remember to never walk your pet on a leash with this collar, as it can cause injury. Instead, put your dog in a harness for walking and leave the receiver collar at home.
Always turn the transmitter off before taking your pet out of its safe zone if you aren’t going to remove the collar completely.
We hope you found this guide helpful during your installation process.
If you have questions about training your pet with this fence, we have helpful information and tips listed below!
Here’s further reading if you are worried that your dog will run past the boundaries of your electric fence.
At the end of this article, we will include a list of important key points to remember.
Read More: Best Wireless Dog Fence for Hills. If you have a sloped yard, you need a wireless fence that can adjust to the hills. Here are our top picks!
PetSafe Wireless Fence Training Tips
Training with PetSafe Wireless Fence is absolutely necessary.
No dog will automatically understand the fence, and repeated static correction will confuse the dog and create fear instead of obedience.
- PetSafe has a 30-day training guide you can view for free.
- When training a dog, it’s always best to start with a general idea of your pet’s temperament and mastery of simple commands.
- If your pet is sensitive and reacts negatively to stress, it’s best to start with low static correction levels to get them acquainted.
- Consistency is a key factor during any form of training. You will yield the best results by performing short interval sessions dispersed frequently throughout the day.
- Use your pet’s favorite toy or treat to your advantage by using it to reward desired behavior and actions.
- Praise is another great reward option that you most likely already use. Positive reinforcement is the most powerful training tool you have because most dogs love to please people.
Remember that training should never stop! Reinforcing lessons daily will help to lower the chance of unwanted behavior returning.
Here is a great online resource for training methods involving invisible fences.
Important Points To Remember About Wireless Fences
- PetSafe Wireless Fence is only safe for cats and dogs eight pounds and up! They do have a product for dogs under 8 pounds.
- Your transmitter needs to live on the bottom floor of a non-metal structure elevated by 2 feet, in a dry area that is kept safe from ALL harsh weather conditions.
- The PetSafe Wireless Fence is a training tool and should be treated as such.
- Take the PetSafe Computer Collar off of your pet after each training session, checking the contact site for any irritation.
- You should avoid placing your transmitter near any large amount of metal.
- If your pet exhibits any concerning symptoms we urge you to discontinue use immediately and make an appointment with your nearest veterinary clinic ASAP.
Still, have further questions? PetSafe has three helpful support options!
Once you have the invisible fence set up and your dog trained to stay inside, you’re going to love how easy and safe it is to use.
See our related article, Are PetSafe and Invisible Fence the Same Thing? Are these two brands interchangeable? Find out!
We love that the PetSafe wireless fence allows our dogs to run and play in the yard without us worrying about them investigating the road beyond the yard.
If you enjoy the RV life, your wireless fence can be brought along on your adventures to create a safe play perimeter on the road.
Just make sure you flag the safe area and train the dogs in the new space.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?