Cleaning a collar is relatively straightforward – until it’s electronic.
If you have a Fi Dog Collar that’s seen better days, you may be wondering how to clean it.
We’ll cover how to clean Fi collar using a few methods to make even the dirtiest collars like new again!
How to Clean a Fi Collar
A Fi collar helps keep your dog safe and visible to you at all times, but once the new wears off, it’ll need a little TLC.
Before you can clean anything, you’ll need to remove the tracker.
Here’s a short video on how to do it:
Read our related article on How to Set Up Fi Dog Collar. This step-by-step guide makes setup a breeze!
Steps on how to clean Fi collar
- Prepare the cleaning supplies. Grab a soft cloth, a toothbrush, mild dish soap, and distilled water. Avoid harsh chemicals or solvents, as these can damage the collar.
- Dampen the cloth with distilled water. Gently wipe down the entire surface of the collar, taking care to remove any dirt or debris.
- Apply a small amount of dish soap to the toothbrush. Scrub the buckle and contact points to remove any buildup of oils or residue. Rinse the soap off.
- Allow the collar to air dry before putting it back on your dog.
- Inspect the collar regularly for any wear or damage, and clean and replace it as needed.
If your dog’s collar is made out of cloth material, you may be able to put your dog’s collar in the washing machine on a gentle cycle.
Read our related article on the Best Dog GPS Tracker. This guide features the Fi Collar along with other TOP dog GPS trackers!
How to Keep Your Fi Collar Clean in Between Washes
Here are 3 simple ways to keep your dog’s collar clean in between washes:
- Use a lint roller. A lint roller is a quick and easy way to remove hair and dirt from your dog’s collar. Roll the lint roller over the collar, so the hair and dirt will adhere.
- Wipe with a damp cloth. If your dog’s collar is not too dirty, you can wipe it with a wet cloth. This will remove any surface dirt and hair.
- Spot clean with soap and water. If your dog’s collar is stained, you can spot-clean it with a small amount of soap and water. Scrub the stain or dirt with a brush or cloth and rinse the area well.
Read our related article, How Do GPS Dog Collars Work? Discover the ins and outs of GPS dog collars!
Tips for Keeping Your Dog’s Fi Collar Smelling Fresh
Here are some tips to keep your dog’s FI collar smelling fresh!
Keep Your Dog Clean
Bathe your pup regularly with a high-quality, pet-specific shampoo to remove any dirt, grime, and bacteria that can cause odor.
Make sure to rinse thoroughly and avoid getting water in your dog’s ears.
Bathing once a month is usually sufficient for house dogs, while dirtier dogs will need to be bathed more often.
Read our related article on How to Cancel Fi Collar Subscription. You can cancel Fi at any time – here are the steps!
Brush your dog’s fur at least once a week to remove dead hair and distribute natural oils throughout the coat.
This will also help to reduce tangles and mats, which can trap dirt and moisture.
Keep Them Away From Smelly Sources
Try to limit your dog’s exposure to things that can cause staining and odor, such as garbage, rotting food, or stagnant water.
If your pup gets into something smelly, clean the area thoroughly with pet-safe cleaners.
Use a quality Fi Collar
Choose a FI collar made from high-quality materials designed to resist Odor.
Look for collars made from breathable fabric with built-in anti-microbial properties.
This will help to keep your dog’s skin healthy while preventing the growth of odor-causing bacteria.
Read our related article, How to Turn On Light On Fi Collar. Fi collars have a light that you can turn on or off. We show you how to do it!
Avoid Using Harsh Cleaners
Avoid using harsh cleansers or detergents when cleaning your dog’s collar, as these can strip away the natural oils from the leather or fabric.
Instead, opt for a mild soap or cleaner specifically designed for use on pet products.
Allow the Collar to Air Dry
After shampooing or cleaning your dog’s collar, allow it time to air dry completely before putting it back on your pup.
Leaving the collar damp can lead to mildew or bacteria growth, which worsens the problem.
Read our related article, Do GPS Dog Collars Cause Cancer? Concerned pet owners have wondered if GPS collars are bad for their dogs’ health. Learn more!
How Long Does a FI Collar Last?
A FI collar should last for many years with proper care.
Inspect the collar regularly for signs of wear or damage, and replace it as needed.
How Often Should I Clean My Dog’s FI Collar?
It would help if you cleaned your dog’s FI collar at least once a week or as needed.
If the collar becomes excessively dirty, you can spot-clean it with soap and water or machine wash on the delicate cycle.
How To Choose the Right FI Collar?
When choosing a FI collar for your pup, consider your dog’s size, weight, and activity level.
Choose a collar made from high-quality materials designed to resist odor.
Select a size that’s comfortable for your dog to wear and that will not rub or chafe the skin.
To ensure a proper fit, use a measuring tape to measure the circumference of your dog’s neck and refer to the size chart included with the product.
Read our related article on how to Replace Fi Collar Band. When your dog’s Fi Collar needs replacing, this is how you do it!
Other Interesting Reads:
- What Collars Work With Pet Stop? – The BEST Replacements
- Should You Leave a Shock Collar On a PUPPY? – What to Know
- Will ANY Collar Work With Invisible Fence? – Types & Brands
- How to Adjust Invisible Fence Collar Strength (2022 GUIDE)
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?