Dogs can be messy, and their beds are no exception. If your dog’s bed starts to smell a bit rank, don’t worry – there are a few things you can do to deodorize it and get it smelling fresh again.
This can be done easily at home with some simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
Read our related article on How to Clean Dog Bed Foam the Right Way! Discover more about cleaning your dog’s bed and keeping your home fresh.
In This Article:
How to Deodorize your Dog’s Bed
There are a variety of things you can use to clean your dog bed and get it smelling fresh again. The good news is that you probably won’t have to go buy anything. Many of these cleaning tricks feature common household items.
An enzyme-based cleaner can deodorize a dog bed. Simply spray the cleaner onto the bed, and then let it sit for a few minutes before wiping it away.
Enzymes naturally break down odors, leaving the bed smelling fresh and clean.
If you want to keep your dog’s bed smelling fresh all the time, you can try using an air purifier. Place the purifier near the bed, and it will help to circulate fresh, clean air, keeping odors from building up.
Vacuuming removes any hair or dirt that may be causing the smell.
If you have a steam cleaner, you can use that to deodorize the bed as well. You can spray the bed with a pet-safe cleaner, scrub it into the fabric, then rinse it.
White vinegar mixed with water is a great natural deodorizer and can be used on most fabrics without damaging them.
Baking soda is another great natural odor absorber. A layer of baking soda sprinkled on top of your dog’s bed can assist to absorb any undesirable odors. Let the baking soda sit for a few hours before vacuuming it up.
Citrus fruits like lemons and oranges contain natural oils that help to kill bacteria and fungus. Cut a lemon or orange peel into small pieces and sprinkle them over your dog’s bed. Let them sit for a few hours, then vacuum them up.
Lemon juice is also effective at deodorizing your dog’s bed. Simply mix equal parts lemon juice and water in a spray bottle and spritz the bed with it. Let it sit for a few hours before wiping it down with a damp cloth.
Lavender oil is another great option for deodorizing your dog’s bed. Simply add a few drops of lavender oil to a spray bottle filled with water and spritz the bed with it. Let it sit for a few hours before wiping it down with a damp cloth.
Tea Tree oil
Tea tree oil is another option that can be used to deodorize your dog’s bed. Add a few drops of tea tree oil to a spray bottle filled with water and spritz the bed with it. Let it sit for a few hours before wiping it down with a damp cloth.
What remedy is the best to make my dog’s bed smell good?
Here are 3 ideas that are the most effective at making your dog bed smell better:
- Add a layer of baking soda: Baking soda is great for absorbing odors. Simply sprinkle a layer over the entire surface of the bed and let it sit for at least 30 minutes (longer is better) before vacuuming it up.
- Use a pet odor eliminator: There are many commercial products available that are specifically designed to remove pet odors. Follow the instructions on the product label.
- Clean the bed regularly: This will help prevent odors from building up in the first place. Be sure to wash the bedding in hot water and use a pet-safe laundry detergent.
advantages of Deodorizing Your Dog’s Bed
- A deodorized dog bed will help your dog to feel more comfortable and relaxed in his or her own space.
- If your dog has allergies, a deodorized bed will help to reduce allergy symptoms by providing a clean and fresh environment.
- Deodorizing your dog’s bed will also help to keep your own home smelling fresh and clean.
- A deodorized dog bed is easier to clean and will require less frequent washing.
- Finally, a deodorized dog bed is simply more pleasant for both you and your dog – nobody likes sleeping in a smelly bed!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
How do you wash dog bedding?
You can either hand wash or machine wash dog bedding but be sure to use cold water and a gentle detergent.
If you choose to machine wash, be sure to use the delicate cycle and avoid using fabric softener, as this can clog the fabric’s pores and inhibit its ability to absorb scents.
You may also want to hang your bed to dry rather than using a dryer.
Does Febreze get rid of dog smell?
Yes, Febreze can help to remove dog smells from your home. To use it on your dog’s bed, simply spray the bed with Febreze and let it dry. Febreze is safe to use around pets.
You may need to repeat this process a few times to completely eliminate the odor. You can also try placing a bowl of white vinegar in the room where the bed is located to help absorb any remaining odors.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?