Maybe dogs, like us humans, hate the scorching heat of the sun on their thick fur. It makes them feel hot, which is a very uncomfortable feeling as we all know. If you are worried that your pet dog gets too hot, then there are ways to keep them cool in order to give them some relief, especially on hot, summer days.
One of the simplest ways to keep them cool is by giving them a cooling dog bed that soothes and keeps them cool, especially during summer. Our furry pal requires a good place to rest. A perfect cooling bed will hit two birds with one stone; it will provide them a comfortable rest while keeping them cool.
I bought two cooling dog beds for my dog. This is not only an anti-heat solution at home, but it also keeps them cool wherever we go outside, like to the beach or the park.
However, choosing the best cooling dog beds is not as simple as ABC because of the variety of options, shapes, and sizes available in the market. Thus, I have come up with this article to help you go through the purchase process and ensure you get the best one for your furry best friend. So, sit back and relax, and explore the best eight cooling beds for your dogs.
I. Best Cooling Dog Bed Buyer’s Guide
Before we proceed with the top 12 best cooling beds for your best pal, let’s us check out first the buying considerations you have to take note of. This is very crucial for you to know so that you don’t regret whatever choices you make in the future.
Also, you have to take note that if your dog has a habit of biting everything it sees, then we don’t recommend you to buy this product. It will most likely ruin the cooling bed, or worst, it will swallow some of the sections of the bed which may harm them or make them sick in the end. If you absolutely love to buy one, then you must choose a cooling bed that is made of durable and chew-resistant material.
You need to pay attention to these factors before choosing the best cooling dog beds for your dog:
- Cooling Ability: One of the most important factors and the main reason you are buying a cooling bed in the first place is because of its cooling ability. Therefore, before you decide which cooling bed to buy, you have to determine if the cooling bed can indeed produce a temperature that is 10 to 20 degrees lower from the hot temperatures outside.
- Size: First and foremost, when buying a cooling dog bed, you have to consider the size of your dog. You have to make sure that the bed is enough to nestle your furry pal’s body. The sizes of the cooling dog bed start with extra small and go up to double extra-large. To be certainly sure of the size, you have to check first the size of your dog and compare it with the dimension of the cooling bed. Take note that the height of your dog is very crucial when calculating the size of your dog.
- Color: Although the color of the cooling bed may be disregarded by some pet owners, it could play an important role in some. Choose a color that could easily blend with the pieces of furniture you have at home. Or choose a darker color option that could hide the stains or muddy paw prints from your dog.
- Durability: We are all aware that dogs really love to bite things. Good for you, if you have a dog that rarely bites. But, if you have yet still decided to buy a cooling bed for your dog, then you have to make sure that the quality of the cooling bed that you choose is durable enough to withstand easily tearing apart.
- Ability to fold: Especially if you love to bring your furry pal outside like on the beach, camping, and amusement parks, then you have to be concerned about the folding ability of your cooling bed. Choose a cooling bed that you can easily and fold and carry along wherever you like to go with your furred pal.
- Materials: It is also important to consider the type of material used for the cooling bed. It should not only be comfortable for your dogs to lie in but should also be made of safe materials without harmful chemicals in case your dogs accidentally ingest them.
- Price: Of course, pet parents would love a cooling bed that gives a bang for their buck. Although we all want what’s best for our pets, we would surely love to have a product that is made perfectly for them and at the same time friendly for our pockets as well.
II. The 12 Best Cooling Dog Beds
1. Our #1 Pick: Coolaroo Elevated Pet Bed
- 3 sizes
- 6 colors
- 7+ inches elevation
- Steel frame
- Easy care
The completely elevated design of this pet bed serves to promote excellent airflow from all angles, so your pup should stay cool even if it’s hot and stuff with the AC working overtime.
You get a great choice of color schemes and a trio of sizes to suit. This is the large bed and it’s great for medium and large breeds.
A dense and durable HDPE fabric is draped over a robust powder-coated steel frame. You get a bed that’s built to last without stiffing your furball on the comfort front.
The fabric is resistant to mites, fleas, mildew, and mold, ideal if the bed is placed in an outbuilding or somewhere slightly damp.
This bed is very simple to wash and maintain. All you need to do is wipe down the surface and you’re good to go.
Highly portable, you can use this bed indoors or out in the yard as you see fit. Keep your pup cool and comfortable with Coolaroo.
2. AmazonBasics Elevated Cooling Bed
- 5 sizes
- 2 colors
- 7+ inches elevation
- For small breeds
- Easy care
If you’re looking for a cheap dog cooling bed, AmazonBasics delivers as their proprietary line invariably does. What do you get for your money, then?
The iron frame is quite solid and strong for a budget bed. The mesh fabric is super-breathable, so your dog should stay naturally cool as he lies on this surface.
As an added kicker, the bed is elevated more than 7 inches from the ground. This encourages all-round airflow and keeps Rover cooler more effectively than non-elevated alternatives.
Choice of colors could be improved, but you get a wide selection of sizes to accommodate most canines.
As with all the best dog cooling beds, this model is straightforward to clean. Wipe it down with a damp cloth, and that’s the extent of maintenance and upkeep.
Despite the budget price tag, build quality is pretty impressive and you should get plenty of faithful service from this bed.
3. The Green Pet Shop Dog Cooling Mat
- With patented pressure activated gel
- Automatically recharges 15 to 20 minutes after no use
- Easily folds and lightweight, perfect for travel
- Perfect for medium-sized dogs
- Easy to clean
This dog mat has a patented pressure activated gel, that keeps your dog comfortable and cool even during extreme heat. The special gel formula automatically recharges 15-20 minutes every after use; thus, you don’t need to add water or keep it in the fridge afterward. Once you lay down the pad, it is already good to go.
Furthermore, this cooling mat can be used wherever you like, be it on the sofa, or your pet’s bed, crate, or kennel. Plus, you can easily carry it wherever you like as this is lightweight and easily folds effortlessly.
Cleaning is never a problem with this cooling bed. You just have to use a damp cloth, and your dog’s cooling mat is already clean as new.
4. Chillz Cooling Mat For Dogs
- Uses activated gel technology
- made of puncture-resistant material and non-toxic gel, safe for your dogs but for kids, adults, and other pets as well
- portable and lightweight
- easy fold-up design
- automatically recharges by allowing air to cool
Keep your furry pal cool and feeling comfy with Chillz Cooling Mat For Dogs. It has an activated gel technology that sucks up the body heat of your dog and also relieves from joint or heat pain. No need for electricity to recharge this cooling mat, as it automatically recharges by allowing air to cool the mat when not in use. Thus, you don’t need to chill or freeze it in the freeze. Just let it be, and it will automatically cool down on its own, perfect for the next time your pet decides to take a snooze or just to chill down.
In addition, this cooling mat features an innovative design where it is portable and lightweight, making it perfect for travel. Plus, it easily folds up, making it all the more convenient for your next trip to the beach, park, or wherever you like to go with your furry friend.
Furthermore, this cooling bed is also made of puncture-resistant material and non-toxic gel, making it safe not only for your dogs but for kids, adults, and other pets as well.
5. Arf Pets Pet Dog Self Cooling Mat Pad
- made of nylon fabric, perfect for chewer dogs
- made from non-toxic materials and durable solid gel construction
- weight-activated automatically cools down whenever your dog steps or lies down on it
- the cooling sensation that lasts for 3 hours’ straight
- automatically recharges
- it doesn’t require elaborate cleanup
- easy to fold
- lightweight and breathable
Among the best cooling beds for your dog is the Pets Pet Dog Self Cooling Mat Pad. First of all, it is made of nylon fabric, which is a tough fabric, making it a perfect cooling mat pat for chewer dogs. Plus, this cooling dog bed also allows enough air circulation, making it breathable at the same time.
Aside from its durable construction, this cooling pat is also made from non-toxic materials, which is 100% safe for animal use and even for adults and kids. Furthermore, this cooling mat is also made of highly durable solid gel construction which absorbs your pal’s body heat keeping them comfortable even in the most humid and hottest conditions.
In addition, this is also weight-activated, meaning it automatically cools down whenever your dog steps or lies down on it. Plus, they can enjoy this cooling sensation for 3 hours straight. After use, it automatically recharges, without any water, battery, or electricity needed.
And last but not the least, it doesn’t require elaborate cleanup. You just need to use mild soap and water, then let it dry. Then, this could already be good for the next use.
6. Sealy Lux Quad Layer Orthopedic Dog Bed with Cooling Gel
- made of two padding layers – a cooling layer and a charcoal base
- provides orthopedic support
- comes in different sizes
- come in four colors to choose from
- the cover is removable and can be washed in the washing machine
If you have come to appreciate the cooling effects that memory foam brings, then surely your pet dog would love it too. This Sealy Lux Quad Layer Orthopedic Dog Bed with Cooling Gel is a premium orthopedic dog bed that gives ultimate support and comfort for your dog. This first-class dog bed is made of two padding layers – a cooling layer and a charcoal base—to ensure that your dog gets comfortable and feeling fresh even in prolonged use. Plus, the charcoal base absorbs odor, making it look and feel fresh all throughout.
This lux bed, furthermore, not only keeps your dog cool during their sleep but also provides orthopedic support, perfect for dogs of all ages and even for dogs with bone problems such as joint pain and arthritis.
This comes in different sizes to accommodate different breeds of dogs. Plus, they also come in four colors to choose from: green, blue, gray, and brown. Additionally, the cover can be easily removed and washed in the washing machine, so cleaning this dog bed will never be a chore.
7. K&H Pet Products Original Pet Bed
- 1 size
- 1 color
- 200-pound weight limit
- Elevated frame
- Machine-washable cover
K&H Pet Products make some first-class gear for discerning pet owners. Their products are not cheap, but they are built to last and deliver fully on the performance front. How does this bed shape up, then?
You can use this versatile bed indoors or out in the yard. You won’t need any tools or DIY skills to put it together in minutes. It’s equally easy to disassemble, too.
Capable of taking the weight of dogs to 200 pounds, this large bed should be a match for most bigger breeds. The bed measures up at 30 x 42 x 7 inches.
When you need to freshen the bed up, simply remove the cover and pop it in the washing machine for stress-free maintenance.
Although a few users report the canvas wearing through, most user testimony concerning this bed is positive as you would fully expect from anything from the K&H Pet Products stable.
8. Furhaven Pet Bed
- 5 sizes
- 16 colors
- L-shape corner sofa
- Gel-infused memory foam
- Machine-washable cover
Next up is something slightly different with this L-shape corner sofa that’s ideal for keeping your pup cool.
The top of this bed comes loaded with gel-infused memory foam. This not only offers your furball an orthopedic sleeping surface, but it also serves to keep him cool when the mercury rises.
The main sleeping surface is lined with a plush and comfortable faux-fur to give your dog plenty of cossetting when he curls up to sleep.
The bolsters give Rover ample support, and these are wrapped in easy-care suede.
You can remove the cover entirely. This is machine-washable for your convenience and ensures you can always keep your dog’s bed spotless without needing to scrub it by hand.
Backed by a no-quibbles 60-day warranty, you can call in for a refund or replacement if you’re not completely satisfied with this dog cooling bed.
9. TheGreenPetShop Dog Cooling Mat – Gel Self Cooling Mat for Dogs
- Pressure activated
- Recharges automatically without needing water, electricity, or battery
- Can be used anywhere
- Compact and folds easily
- Hassle-free cleaning
If your pet is having a hard time to stay cool and comfortable with the tremendous heat from summer, then this TheGreenPetShop Dog Cooling Mat – Gel Self Cooling Mat for Dogs could be your perfect choice. This self-cooling mat is pressure-activated, meaning it automatically soothes and keeps your pet cool as soon as it steps or lies on it. Plus, it requires little to no maintenance at all, as it automatically recharges 15 to 20 minutes of no use, without the need to put it in the fridge or add water into it.
Furthermore, this dog cooling mat can be used anywhere you like, whether for your sofa, floor, or your pet’s crate or bed. This cooling pad folds easily and is compact, ideal for travel with your furry travel buddy. Cleaning is never an issue with this cooling pad. You only need a damp cloth to wipe out that nasty dirt away.
10. Nesutoraito Washable Summer Cooling Mat
- Made from non-toxic material of cooling fabric, breathable mesh, and stuffing of Polypropylene cotton
- Can be used on both side
- portable and lightweight, ideal for travel
- can be placed in cars, crates, or your pet’s bed
- washable cooling mat
Another cooling mat that can be used on both sides is the Nesutoraito Washable Summer Cooling Mat. One side of this cooling mat is made of cool feeling fabric and the other is made from breathable mesh. Both sides give a cooling effect and tremendous comfort, perfect for your furry buddy, especially on hot summer days. Aside from the breathable mesh and cooling fabric, the stuffing inside this mat is made of Polypropylene cotton, which absorbs sweating and gives all the more comfort that your furry best friend deserves.
This mat is portable and lightweight, ideal for travel. You can also place this washable cooling mat in your cars, crates, or your pet’s bed. To ensure the cooling effect of this cooling mat, place it in the freezer for about 10 minutes and then take it out. This will ensure that your pet will have a cool and comfortable snooze.
11. Coleman Pressure Activated Cooling Gel Pad
- 1 size
- 5 colors
- Stay-cool pad
- Remains below room temperature
- Wipe-down cleaning
Coleman’s pressure-activated cooling gel pad offers an alternative to a full-sized dog cooling bed.
With this nifty device, your smaller breed can enjoy temperatures 5F to 10F below room temperature.
The cooling gel inside this mat is totally non-toxic and pet-friendly, so you’ll have no niggling safety concerns as you try to keep your dog cooler this summer.
Just like all the best dog cooling beds, this model couldn’t be easier to keep clean. Just use a damp cloth to wipe down the surface and give Rover a hygienic and cooling sleeping environment.
The open dimensions of this cooling mat are 24 x 30 inches. The manufacturer doesn’t provide a sizing chart or guidelines, but we would suggest this makes a great pad for small and medium breeds.
With no need for electricity or water and a highly portable solution to keeping your dog cool, Coleman hits a homer.
12. K&H Pet Products Cooling Bed
- 3 sizes
- 1 color
- Add water to use
- Low maintenance
This innovative pet bed from the highly reputable K&H Pet Products comes with a cooling core. This draws in the heat from your dog and converts this to room temperature so he should never find himself overheating at night even in the middle of summer.
The bed is made from a nylon/vinyl that you fill with water. This only needs doing once and then you have a set-and-forget solution.
The large bed offers ample space for medium breeds and most larger dogs.
The comfort provided by the bed is married to adequate support for proper spinal alignment and joint health.
For best results, position this cooling bed away from direct sunlight. You can use it indoors or outside.
Due to the fact you need to fill it up with water, this model is not ideal for portable use. Set it up somewhere you’re happy to leave it in place.
As a crowning bonus, this bed is backed by a 2-year limited warranty so you can buy with complete confidence from a trustworthy industry leader.
III. Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the frequently asked questions that you may also have:
1. What size of the dog bed is perfect for my dog?
In order to determine the perfect size of a dog bed that is perfect for your dog, you must first ensure that you have the right measurements of your dog. If you already have an idea of the exact measurements of your dog, make sure that you choose a size that is at least 6 inches larger from the actual size of your pet dog. If for example, your dog measures around 18 inches tall and about 23 inches long, then you need a pet bet that is at least 34 inches wide and 29 inches long. If you are having a doubt, then always go for a larger size.
2. Do cooling mats really work to keep your dogs cool during hot, sunny days?
Cooling mats are either filled with a special heat-absorbing gel or water or is made of memory foam. These all work the same in giving a cool environment to keep your dog feeling comfortable and cool, even under the scorching heat. When your dog lays on a cooling mat, the temperature of his body will drop, soothing him and making him feel comfortable.
3. How long do cooling mats last?
The cooling effect of cooling mats depends on the material used for construction. Usually, it is able to keep a temperature of below 10 to 20 degrees Celsius for 3 to 4 hours. After that, you either have to manually recharge it or let it recharge on its own.
4. How can you keep the cooling mat cool?
Some cooling mats automatically cool after 15 to 20 minutes of no use. While other cooling mats, on the other hand, require pet owners either to charge it with electricity or battery, replace water fillers, or put it in the fridge.
5. What is inside a dog cooling mat?
Mostly, cooling mats use a non-toxic cooling gel to absorb the heat of your dogs’ body to keep him cool. This cooling gel is the safest and most effective way to prevent dehydration and overheat of your pet dog.
6. How to clean your dog’s cooling pad?
Depending on the manufacturer, usually, pads require effortless cleaning. Some cooling pads require you to use a damp cloth and mild soap to clean the cooling pad. Other cooling pads also come with a removable cover which you can easily toss in the washing machine. More or less cleaning your dog’s cooling pad is not too much of a thing to do.
7. Is there a chance that dogs can overheat in bed?
Just like humans, a dog can dehydrate and overheat in bed. To avoid this unwarranted circumstance, try to offer your dog a cool water before tucking him to bed. You can also turn on your air conditioner or put an oscillating fan near your dog’s bed to keep him cool. And, you can also use a cooling pad to keep him cool all throughout his sleep.
Cooling dog beds help your dog endure the burning heat of the sun, especially during hot summer days. This will also allow you to tag along with your furry buddy whenever you want to go to the beach or the park without worrying that your dog will suffer from dehydration or heat exhaustion.
We hope that this article has helped you make a suitable buying decision. Out of the bunch, our most preferred cooling mat is the Green Pet Shop Dog Cooling Mat because of its cooling ability, versatility, and ease of use. Keep your dogs cool even on hot humid days with the best cooling bed at hand.