Pit Bulls love to play and cuddle with family members the best, but when your Pit gets left alone, he needs to have a fun collection of robust toys that can withstand some aggressive play and not fall apart.
We Pit-tested a bunch of chew toys and picked the best of the bunch to save you the trouble of cleaning up destroyed toys later.
These toys can withstand some loving attention from hardcore chewers and still be around for play the next day.
We tested a bunch of dog chew toys to find some that can withstand Pitbull chewing.
We came up with 10 that we like and believe are worth the purchase for a Pit. These 6 are our top picks from the group.
Looking for more Pit accessories? Be sure to check out our guide to the 5 Best Cuban Link Dog Collars!
|Best Overall: Kong Extreme Bal||Our Pit says this is the best. It’s fun to play with and really durable. Perfect for a game of fetch, chewing contentedly, or playing a game of solitaire toss in the yard.||Check Price|
|Best Flavor: Benebone Wishbone Dog Toy||Our Pit says this one is delicious. He prefers all the flavors. We like it because he calmly chews it for hours.||Check Price|
|Best for Snacks: KONG Tires Extreme Dog Toy||Our Pit likes this one because it holds snacks. We also like it because it holds snacks and keeps him entertained.||Check Price|
|Best for Teeth: Nylabone Wishbone Power Chew||Pit-tested and approved for a tasty tooth-cleaning chew. Cleaning teeth is a pain for most dogs, so dental chews are necessary to keep dog teeth shiny and clean.||Check Price|
|Best for Playing Fetch: West Paw Zogoflex Durable Dog Chew||Our Pit loves to play with this ball with his friends. However, he will destroy it if he keeps it for chewing.||Check Price|
|Best for Playing Stick: Goughnuts Virtually Indestructible||We like to play fetch with this “stick” with our Pit. It’s easy on his mouth and gums. He likes to chew on it while he runs.||Check Price|
How We Picked The Best Chew Toys For Pit Bulls
Here are the things we looked at when choosing the best toys for Pits.
We skipped over cutesy, fluffy stuff with squeakers that can be pulled out and choked on.
We skipped over rope toys because they’re like single-use dental floss for a Pit.
Anything that could be torn apart and eaten was definitely out because these materials can get impacted in the dog’s intestine and require surgery to remove.
The toys that won and made our list had these things in common:
- Durability. By far, the most important factor to consider is its expected lifespan. Pitbulls need toys made to withstand chewing by giant dogs.
- Non-splintering. Given the power of your Pitty’s jaw, it makes sense to avoid any toys that may splinter and create a choking hazard.
- Food-grade materials. We use toys with no BPA, no phthalates, or other toxins.
- Fun flavors. Pits love to play with their food. We looked for toys that have a flair or allow you to stuff kibble, treats, or dry dog food inside. This is especially entertaining and mentally stimulating for a dog that gets left alone during the day.
- Price vs. performance. We didn’t look for the cheapest toys because single-use toys are the most expensive. We chose toys that deliver value for the money.
We chose the ones that looked the most promising and tested them on our favorite Pit Bull to see how it holds up to the opinion of the one who matters most!
He gladly tested and shared his opinions, helping us pick the 6 best of the toys we tested.
Chew toys can harbor bacteria that can lead to gross smells in your home. Check out our quick guide where we discuss How to Clean Dog Toys With Ease!
The 6 Best Chew Toys For Pit Bulls
Here’s the full list of the 6 best toys we tested for our Pit Bull.
He likes them, we like them, and they have great reviews from other dog owners, so they made the cut.
1. Best Overall: KONG Extreme Ball
Material: rubber I Dimensions: 3x3x3 inches I Weight: 1 pound I Flavor: None
What We Liked
- Seriously heavy-duty toy, ideal for pits
- Our pit loves this ball, so that also makes it our favorite
- Designed for dogs up to 65 pounds
What We Didn’t Like
- New design has a hole in the middle. This made it easier for our Pit to destroy because he could get his teeth onto an edge to pull chunks off.
- Super heavy for playing fetch. Still fun though, and the hole helps to take some of the weight out of the ball.
KONG dominates when it comes to toys for ferocious chewers. Our Pit loves them.
They last longer than any other ball out there, even with daily chewing and games of fetch.
We buy another when one KONG wears out because our Pit loves this toy.
This ball comes in 2 sizes. This model is created for powerful chewers from 15 to 65 pounds.
An unbeatable fetch toy, you can kiss goodbye to days of endless punctured balls and usher in an era of using the same smart solution every time.
It’s easy to keep this toy clean, too. You can wash it in warm, soapy water or throw it in the dishwasher to keep it fresh and clean.
Of all the toys we tested, this is the most heavy-duty. This company has been making great dog toys for almost half a century, and this ball is made to last.SEE PRICE ON AMAZON SEE PRICE ON CHEWY
2. Best Flavor: Benebone Wishbone Dog Toy
Material: nylon I Dimensions: 7 x 4.7 x 1.2 inches I Weight: 6 ounces I Flavors: chicken, bacon, or peanut
What We Liked
• Infused with real chicken
• Our Pit loves this toy, and it keeps him quiet for long periods of time
• Remarkably durable
• Easy for our dog to hold and chew
What We Didn’t Like
• It smells so delicious that it lures smaller dogs to chew, which can be dangerous
• The nylon is so tough that it can damage softer teeth, so it needs to be kept away from dogs who can’t handle the tough chewing material
Our Pit loves this toy because he gets a taste of the wild. This toy is shaped like a wishbone, and it’s infused with real chicken.
If poultry is not to your pup’s liking, try the bacon or peanut flavor instead. Our Pit loves them all.
Choose from 4 sizes, from small through giant. This model is the medium version designed for dogs like pit bulls and especially aggressive chewers.
This toy is designed for aggressive chewers, and it works great for Pits. it’s the type of toy that ours likes to serenely chew on for hours.
The nylon should stand up to plenty of punishment, even if you have energetic pits in the house.SEE PRICE ON AMAZON SEE PRICE ON CHEWY
3. Best For Snacks: KONG Tires Extreme Dog Toy
Material: rubber I Dimensions: 5 x 4.5 x 1.5 inches I Weight: 7 ounces I Flavor: none
What We Liked
• The toy can be used alone, or with a treat
• We get good longevity from KONG brand toy
• The tire is stimulating for our Pit without being frustrating
What We Didn’t Like
• The tire doesn’t last as long as we’d like due to the shape
• Every dog chews differently, but we wish the large size of this toy were larger
KONG delivers again. We tried the rubber tire toy this time, and it was also a winner.
Our Pit chewed it up faster than the KONG ball, but he also had a ton of fun doing it.
This toy delivers an active chewing experience that will help dogs who chew aggressively to get some great stimulation with no risk of pieces splintering off and damaging their teeth.
The inside of this toy can also be easily filled with your Pit’s favorite treats.
Stuff it with peanut butter to drive him wild, or wedge some kibble and treats inside.
This keeps our Pit busy for longer when he stays home alone.
The food smells keep him busy, stimulating his instincts for chewing and hunting but helping him problem-solve while he works to get every speck of peanut butter or treats out from the tire.SEE PRICE ON AMAZON SEE PRICE ON CHEWY
4. Best For Teeth: Nylabone Wishbone Power Chew
Material: nylon I Dimensions: 6 x 0.8 x 5.75 inches I Weight: 3.5 ounces I Flavor: bison
What We Liked
- Designed for dogs to 50 pounds
- Natural Bison flavor that dogs love
- Ridged to promote dental hygiene
What We Didn’t Like
- The giant size only comes in Bison flavor
- Nylabones in smaller sizes come in different flavors, but they’re too easy for a Pit to destroy
This is the large version of the Power Chew designed for dogs weighing up to 50 pounds.
Our Pit got a lot of chewing on this bone before it was destroyed.
We like that the nylon fuzzes out a bit as they chew, which helps clean teeth and freshen breath.
It can be nearly impossible to get our Pit to sit still for a teeth cleaning, so we use nylon bones to help with the job.
Nylabone Infuses these with a natural Bison flavor your Pit will go crazy for. The flavor should last for the lifespan of the toy, too.
Made from hard-wearing nylon with ridges along the toy to provide something for your dog to chew on without snapping pieces of the toy off.
Check the toy daily and throw it out when it looks beat up to avoid the risk of your Pit ingesting part of it.
If you need a long-lasting chew toy capable of standing up to plenty of punishment from your pit bull, this is the obvious solution.SEE PRICE ON AMAZON SEE PRICE ON CHEWY
5. Best For Playing Fetch: West Paw Zogoflex Jive Ball
Material: Zogoflex I Dimensions: 3 x 1 x 1 inches I Weight: 8.8 ounces I Flavor: none
What We Liked
- Proprietary and food-safe material
- Fits in regular ball thrower
- Floatable and dishwasher-friendly
- When it does get chewed up it’s not made of choking-hazard materials like a tennis ball
What We Didn’t Like
• On the expensive side for a ball
• Doesn’t last super long with frequent play
• Can be chewed up, but it’s remarkably durable
We don’t let our Pit sit and chew on this ball because it will be destroyed.
We reserve it for playtime because it’s a great ball for playing fetch, and it works great with a ball thrower.
West Paw has a comprehensive line of dog toys and accessories made from a very robust and pet-safe material called Zogoflex.
Recyclable and latex-free, this toy comes backed by a full warranty, too.
This chew toy is our favorite for playing outdoors in the summer.
This is a remarkably robust yet floatable water toy that lasts well for playing with our aggressive chewer.
The bouncy ball also works well indoors and is designed to have a crazy, unpredictable bounce.
This is such a fun toy for playing games and fetch. You can use the small size ball with a regular ball thrower.SEE PRICE ON AMAZON SEE PRICE ON CHEWY
6. Best For Playing Stick: Goughnuts Maxx Stick Pro 50 Dog Toy
Material: rubber I Dimensions: 11 x 2 x 2 inches I Weight: 1.5 pounds I Flavor: none
What We Liked
- Perfect for dogs from 60 to 120 pounds
- Very solid, durable rubber
- 100% lifetime warranty for peace of mind
What We Didn’t Like
- It doesn’t have any sort of meaty flavor or smell
- A little on the heavy side
Aside from playing tug-of-war, our Pit usually opts for flavored chew toys if he can find them.
What can you do if you have a giant breed or a very large pit bull weighing up to 120 pounds and you want to give him some nearly indestructible fun?
Aggressive chewers like Pit Bulls seem to work their way through anything. This rubberized gem from Goughnuts, though, is pretty impressive.
Even if your dog is prone to tearing toys apart, he might just meet his match here.
This is a perfect “stick” for playing fetch and tug. The rubber is easier on his mouth and gums while he chews and retrieves the toy.
The rubber used for this toy is the same as that used for space shuttles and aircraft.
This should give you a clear indication of just how hard-wearing this stuff is.
Of course, we can imagine our Pit chewing apart a space shuttle.
Keep an eye on the toy for wear and tear. The Goughnuts toys have a colored safety core.
When the dog chews down to the colored material, you know to toss it and get a new one.SEE PRICE ON AMAZON
|Product||KONG Extreme Ball||Benebone Wishbone||KONG Tires Extreme||Nylabone Wishbone Power Chew||West Paw Jive Ball||Goughnuts Maxx|
Of our top 6 best chew toys for Pit Bulls, the KONG ball is the overall winner.
It’s robust, fun, and the hole through the middle can be packed with a snack or used to make a rope toy.
It’s so robust that we let our Pit chew on it whenever he wants.
Read More: Can You Donate Used Dog Toys? Shelter dogs are always in need of items like toys. Learn about donating used dog toys here!
How To Pick A Chew Toy For Pit Bulls
Here’s how we went about choosing dog toys to test.
These points are important to us because we know that not every toy is safe for every dog to chew, and aggressive chewers can get in big trouble by ingesting toy pieces.
Most available toys didn’t make it past the shopping phase because we knew they would quickly become unsafe.
Here are the steps we took to test and select good toys for Pit Bulls.
First, we look at the overall construction of the toy. If it’s made from materials that are easy to pull apart, we reject it.
- Rope toys are out because the ropes can be torn apart, causing pieces to get stuck in the dog’s teeth. These string pieces can be ingested and knot up in the intestine, causing blockages.
- Stuffed toys are all out because the fabric will get ripped open, and the dog will ingest some of the fabric, stuffing, and quite possibly the squeaker.
- Nearly all hollow toys are out because they get torn up so fast. We were surprised to find the VANFINE squeaker toy because it holds up well and has some hollowness.
- We avoid toys with clearly larger nubs or parts that can be chewed off and swallowed. The ends of bone shapes seem fine, but we avoid shapes with a ball on the end or a similar shape that may break off or be chewed off.
We look for solid toys that are large enough for a Pit Bull to play with and chew that will last a while.
Even though our Pit is average-sized, we choose chew toys for large or giant dogs because they can take more of a beating.
When a toy shows wear and tear or missing chunks from yesterday’s play, we throw it straight out.
Some Pit owners try to keep the toys for longer than is safe, putting the dog at unnecessary risk of intestinal damage.
For more on tough toys that can withstand heavy chewing, check out our other guide to the Best Indestructible Dog Toys!
These toys were fun in their way, but they didn’t hold up to our rigorous testing the way the top 6 toys did.
However, they can provide some fun play for a Pit Bull and are well worth considering to add variety to your dog’s toybox.
1. VANFINE Dog Squeaky Toys
We purchased most of our test toys with hardcore chewers in mind.
We understand, though, that for smaller and more docile Pit Bulls, especially puppies, you don’t want a toy that could damage your smaller pup’s teeth and gums.
This squeaky dog toy from VANFINE may be a good option for puppies and less aggressive chewers.
Don’t be mistaken, though, this is still a rugged toy that will last for weeks of play.
It has a nice beefy flavor and scent that our Pit loves. It squeaks loudly, which stimulates his instincts to chew and chase.
It’s a fantastic toy for playing fetch and tug-of-war. Once he’s done playing, you can pop this toy in the dishwasher.
The nubs seem to give his teeth a little more grip for chewing, which gives it less longevity for our dog, so we prefer to give him the Benebone Wishbone for chewing.
2. Goughnuts Virtually Indestructible Dog Ring Toy
Another ring-shaped chew toy from Goughnuts made from the same rubber used in aeronautics and aerospace.
Goughnuts has designed this toy for the long haul.
The 4 different colors of this chew toy represent varying levels of hardness. We grabbed the Maxx version for dogs 60 to 100 pounds.
These Goughnuts have a red safety core in the middle to tell you when to throw the ring out. Our Pit still has not chewed this toy up.
That could be because he chews it less because it doesn’t have a smell or flavor.
Pit Bulls need to have the hardest version of this toy, and the Maxx is lasting well. Our Pit likes to chase it when we roll it across the floor.
It’s pretty fun for a game of fetch as well. It holds up to abuse and is easy to clean.
3. Nylabone Durachew Chicken Chew for Dogs
Last but by no means least in our search for the best chew toys for pit bulls comes this nifty chicken chew from Nylabone.
To be honest, we bought this one because we wanted to see our Pit chewing on a dinosaur. It did not disappoint.
The texture of all those dinosaur body parts makes for an active chewing experience.
Using the toy should minimize the build-up of plaque on your dog’s teeth, and you’ll keep his gums healthy as well.
Flavored with chicken, the toy stays flavorful for its lifespan giving your dog a treat of the wild while keeping him stimulated and helping with dental hygiene.
A Pit will chew this up, but it’s relatively inexpensive to replace. Throw it out when it gets too worn to avoid the choking hazard.
For a chicken chew that lasts better, invest in the Nylabone Wishbone Power Chew instead.
4. Playology Scented Dual Layer Ring Dog Toy
This is a cool toy, but it did not make our top 6 because it did last quite a long time, and our Pit Bull loved it but ultimately ended up tearing chunks out of it.
We love that it smells nice, so unlike the plain rubber ones, our Pit was interested in it right away. He went after the package as soon as it showed up.
But it didn’t last as long as we felt it should, especially considering the cost. We usually opt for the KONG tire with a treat inside it for fascinating play that lasts a while.
Read our related article, Why Are All Shelter Dogs Pit Bulls? See the reasons why so many Pit Bulls are surrendered to shelters.
We figure that buying a lot of chew toys is one of the costs of Pit ownership.
We want to keep our boy safe and healthy, so we ante up for new toys to keep him busy.
Mental and physical stimulation is a big part of keeping the Pit happy and well-balanced.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?